Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Well friends, the job search continues. Apparently, up here in New England, everyone uses a resume-writing service. Which, of course, I can't afford. But I met a gentleman at church that offered to look at mine and redo it for free! It's what he does for a living. At church one evening, he asked me who did my resume, and I told him, "I did." He just laughed at me! Anyway, tonight, he's bringing me the new and improved version and he's going to go over it with me. He'll e-mail it as well so I'll have the file too.

I've been to a temp agency. Dawn, my agent, is looking for something for me. And I, of course, am looking constantly. I guess the economy is so bad up here that there aren't many places hiring. Or, they're hiring part-timers so they don't have to pay benefits. I told Dawn I can do anything. I'll stand at a copier, pour coffee for arrogant attorneys, or answer phones all day if I have to. We just need some income.

I worked at some factory in the worst part of RI last Friday scrubbing the floor and the walls on my hands and knees getting and sexually harassed in spanish, or so my temp co-worker told me. That was an experience. But it was money! And the factory bought us lunch. I wanted to quit though. I went out to the car on my 1st 10 minute break to call my other agent, Emily, and apologize profusely for not finishing, and then immediately go to Dunkin' Donuts. I turned on the radio and that Matt Redman song, Blessed Be Your Name was on. Can't you just see God with His hands folded across His chest saying, "What now, girl?!"

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name


Well people, I was found in Pawtucket, RI, and just so you know, it's the desert place!! And it was the wilderness too! No young woman with virtuous income earning aspirations would go there! When Emily answered the phone, I made up some question about my timesheet, and said a quick prayer asking God to forgive my ungrateful heart. I finished the day! And I even got to leave a few minutes early to take some of my new friends to the estacion de autobus. Free lunch, free spanish lessons, and $7.50 an hour! Not too bad!

A guy up here who does metal work might have work for the entire band starting next week. That would be a blessing. The construction work is not very plentiful since no one has money to pay their bills, much less BUILD A HOUSE from the ground up. Our savings account needs repaired!! But I'm thankful we have it. And I'm so thankful that we got nazi serious a few years ago with our savings. I'm thankful every day for Dave Ramsey and his biblically-based principles and God's timing! And Angus Church for being so humble and transparent!

The clutch essentially went out on our Civic on Sunday. I missed Sunday school because of it. Thankfully, I wasn't driving it when it happened. But, Robbie researched it, and e-mailed his Uncle Gary, who works for Honda, and Robbie fixed it today. Thanks to our diligence and God's provision, we had the cash in our "CAR REPAIR" envelope. So no worries!

God has brought me some really great women. All older than me. But they are awesome and I can see one of them in particular becoming a mentor for me. I'm earnestly praying for girls my age though. I know it's probably selfish of me to pray for girls my age that don't have children, (we're a dwindling breed) but I pray that He sends a few of those my way too. One lady waited until she was 40 to have a baby. And she says she doesn't regret it for a second.

We've already run out of oil at our house once. That was a little frightening. But we found a company that will fill us up and let us pay them out. If we have it paid off in 30 days, there is no interest. But if we carry a balance longer than that, the interest is 1.5%. Not terrible.

We have church in Connecticut tonight, so I better get off here and get ready.

I love all of you and I miss your kids!!

1 comment:

Mrs. SuperMom said...

I'm glad your finding your way in your new town. And I'm sure you will find a job you can tolerate very soon.